GAZPROM Germania GmbH is a subsidiary of the world’s largest natural gas producer, Gazprom. Since its establishment in 1990, GAZPROM Germania has developed into an internationally operating group of 44 companies in 15 countries in Europe and Asia. Its main business activities include the storage and trading of natural gas. It employs approximately 1,800 employees, around 200 of whom work at its Berlin headquarters. Together with its strategic partners, GAZPROM Germania Group helps ensure a reliable, environmentally-friendly, and sustainable energy supply for Europe. Gazprom Marketing & Trading (GM&T) is an integral part of the GAZPROM Germania Group. Headquartered in London, GM&T operates to provide a global marketing reach, round the clock operational coverage and excellent customer service. Established in 1999, GM&T has grown from a single office in London into a truly global organisation, with around 1000 employees worldwide. With offices in Europe, Asia and the USA, GM&T trades energy commodities including gas, power, oil, LPG, helium, emissions, LNG and FX. Our culture is defined by our people. Through living our values every day we continue to create a culture that enables us all to succeed. We work as one team with our customers, our parent company and each other in order to understand each other’s needs. With an unstoppable passion for excellence, growth and learning, we’re committed to creating an environment that fosters the development of knowledge, skills and experience, so that our people can thrive and prosper in their careers with us. We believe that we have the best team in the industry which makes us a trusted partner across international capital and energy markets. Our diverse employee base, with a wealth of expertise, knowledge and experience makes GM&T a truly exciting place to work. We encourage new ideas and initiatives as innovative thinking is central to how we do business. Most importantly, we are a growing and developing business where inspired individuals can make a difference and help shape our future.
Supporting GM&T’s continued growth in commodity and derivatives trading, GM&T’s Finance function is looking for a highly motivated, analytically minded individual to join its cross-commodity Trade Accounting team.
Duties & Responsibilities
Reporting to the Global Head of Trade Accounting, the Trade Accountant has responsibility for:
• Financial derivative netting, assisting the team in operating the process, controls and exception management to ensure over £3bn of trading mark-to-market is correctly represented on company, group and parent company balance sheet.
• Support new business opportunities through timely analysis, advice and input to the Global Head of Trade Accounting for sign off, ensuring that any new commodities, markets or deal structures GM&T transacts, can be accurately and completely reported in company, group and parent company accounts. Includes liaison with other impacted teams, both within finance, and across middle and front office.
• Work closely with the technical accounting team to ensure advice given is seen through to physical implementation, both for existing business activity as well as new structures taken on.
• Work closely with parent company teams to implement and maintain any required changes and updates to the local and parent company chart of accounts, as operated in SAP for trading balances.
• Reconcile legal entity and group results in SAP, for at least one trading desk and/or legal entity, to Product Control monthly estimates, investigating all material differences and taking appropriate action to ensure reporting obligations are met. Includes the preparation of corrective journals to company standards, for manager review and sign off before going into SAP.
• Data management, ensuring that all logic, mapping tables and GL assignments are actively maintained and validated within GM&T’s ETRM to SAP interface layer, I&R. Lead improvement projects to improve and simplify such logic, in line with team and departments objectives. Provide the Group Reporting team the GL level analytics requested, balance sheet and gross margin, with the ability to deep dive and answer any specific finance team or parent company questions
Skills & Competencies
• Proactive and decisive mindset, with experience working to tight close timescales
• Understanding of stakeholder management, both within and across departments, with the ability to explain sometimes complex accounting concepts and implementation challenges faced
• Highly motivated and proactive individual and team player
• Communication and influencing skills
• Hands-on experience working with a physical commodity, as well as cash settled derivative chart of accounts, within SAP ERP/ECC
• Understanding of foreign currency transactions and translation in SAP, including realised and unrealised gains and losses on revaluation and cash clearing, an advantage
• Understanding the unrealised financial netting process, both the IFRS rules followed, as well as some of the challenges in its application
• Strong MS Excel experience; explicitly the use and manipulation of pivot tables on often large amounts of transactional level data.
• Qualified accountant (ACA or equivalent)
• Degree level education