Gazprom Marketing & Trading (GM&T) is a subsidiary of the Gazprom group – the world’s largest gas producer and one of the world’s largest energy companies. Headquartered in London, GM&T operates to provide Gazprom group with a global marketing reach, round the clock operational coverage and excellent customer service. Established in 1999, GM&T has grown from a single office in London into a truly global organisation, with around 1000 employees worldwide. With offices in Europe, Asia and the USA, GM&T trades energy commodities including gas, power, oil, LPG, helium, emissions, LNG and FX and also operates a retail business, trading as Gazprom Energy.
Our culture is defined by our people. Through living our values every day we continue to create a culture that enables us all to succeed. We work as one team with our customers, our parent company and each other in order to understand each other’s needs. With an unstoppable passion for excellence, growth and learning, we’re committed to creating an environment that fosters the development of knowledge, skills and experience, so that our people can thrive and prosper in their careers with us. We believe that we have the best team in the industry which makes us a trusted partner across international capital and energy markets. Our diverse employee base, with a wealth of expertise, knowledge and experience makes GM&T a truly exciting place to work. We encourage new ideas and initiatives as innovative thinking is central to how we do business. Most importantly, we are a growing and developing business where inspired individuals can make a difference and help shape our future.
This is a unique opportunity to join the GMT Ltd team responsible for hedging underlying commodity risk within the Gazprom Energy Retail business. You will get a deep understanding of how the energy market operates. You will work alongside our experienced hedging team, gaining insight into how they manage our energy supply risks.
You will observe how we manage price, and volume risks by buying / selling a combination of forward contracts, options and other derivatives.
You will develop transferable skills that could be of use in financial services.
A key part of the role is to deliver real financial benefits to GMT. This is not a role just to learn about energy and observe others.
Duties & Responsibilities
The intern will only work on the Gazprom Energy and not on the Wingas activity. The key tasks will be:
- Analysis of the UK, Fr and NL Gas E2E sales, pricing, hedging, and operational processes – identifying issues and concerns (No.1 objective)
- Analysis of weather hedges, gas swing contracts, and other structures that might be originated to mitigate Retail volume and price risk.
- Analysis the temperature sensitivity of Retail fixed gas portfolio for winter months
- Review customer term sheets , convert into wholesale market risks and create a hedging strategy to effectively manage the risks
- Possibly the creation of “fair value” UK & Continental gas commodity curves, with timely and accurate updates.
- Learn risk management techniques used in a front office Trading Business
Skills & Competencies
- Excellent analytical and mathematic skills
- High level of computer skills (Excel and some VBA would be an advantage) , including knowledge of statistical and trading system software
- Good presentational skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, able to communicate complex issues in a clear, understandable manner to customer facing business units
- Strong business acumen coupled with entrepreneurial flair and energy e.g. able to cope in dynamic environment with rapid business growth
- Pro-active in achieving results
- Good relationship management capabilities, confident and articulate
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work in a pressurised environment
- Diligent, reliable and decisive
- Clear understanding of financial risk and option value
- Ability to multitask and prioritise appropriately
- Undergraduate of either Economics, Maths, or similar subject