Gazprom Marketing & Trading (GM&T) is a subsidiary of the Gazprom group – the world’s largest gas producer and one of the world’s largest energy companies. Headquartered in London, GM&T operates to provide Gazprom group with a global marketing reach, round the clock operational coverage and excellent customer service. Established in 1999, GM&T has grown from a single office in London into a truly global organisation, with around 1000 employees worldwide. With offices in Europe, Asia and the USA, GM&T trades energy commodities including gas, power, oil, LPG, helium, emissions, LNG and FX and also operates a retail business, trading as Gazprom Energy.
Our culture is defined by our people. Through living our values every day we continue to create a culture that enables us all to succeed. We work as one team with our customers, our parent company and each other in order to understand each other’s needs. With an unstoppable passion for excellence, growth and learning, we’re committed to creating an environment that fosters the development of knowledge, skills and experience, so that our people can thrive and prosper in their careers with us. We believe that we have the best team in the industry which makes us a trusted partner across international capital and energy markets. Our diverse employee base, with a wealth of expertise, knowledge and experience makes GM&T a truly exciting place to work. We encourage new ideas and initiatives as innovative thinking is central to how we do business. Most importantly, we are a growing and developing business where inspired individuals can make a difference and help shape our future.
The Commercial Regulatory Affairs team operates as the reference point of regulatory expertise regarding Gas, Power, Carbon and LNG markets for Global Commodities & Derivatives Trading (GCD&T) within the Gazprom Marketing & Trading Limited (GM&T).
Working within Commercial Operations the core responsibilities of the role include assisting in the establishment of the current and future regulatory requirements for GM&T’s business activities, and the identification of potential commercial impacts on Gas, Power, Carbon and LNG portfolios.
The role will be highly interdependent with other functions including, but not limited to Gas, Power, Carbon and LNG Trading, Commercial Operations, Operational and Enterprise Risk and Regulatory Compliance, Operational Planning and Management, Legal and other affiliates of the Gazprom group.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintain close relationships with the Gas, Power, Carbon and LNG Trading Desks.
- Understand commercial strategy, potential new markets and products and forthcoming major transactions.
- Identify significant regulatory challenges and commercial opportunities for Gas, Power, Carbon and LNG arising from the planned strategy and tactics, for the current and future regulatory environments. Work with the Front Office and support functions to develop corresponding action plans.
- Work with the Front Office Trading desk and Operational Planning and Management team and the relevant support functions across GM&T to ensure necessary operational arrangements are implemented for new business development.
- Influence market design structures that underpin the GM&T business through proactive participation in consultation processes, regulatory inquiries, and industry forum
- Engage with regulators, industry organisations, transport system operators and other energy companies to influence the further development and application of the energy regulatory framework which enables GCD&T to achieve its commercial objectives
- Maintain thorough knowledge of current regulations and potential developments of regulation and market design across Gas, Power and LNG, markets and products.
- Represent GM&T and the Gazprom Group’s best interest through input to consultation processes and selective lobbying (ensuring alignment with senior management).
Risk management, compliance and strategy
- Monitor Gas, Power, Carbon and LNG regulation to identify potential new regulatory requirements necessary to existing policies, processes and systems.
- Identify operational risks arising from regulatory compliance requirements and liaise with operational risk management in the implementation of effective reporting, control and mitigation processes
- Identify, assess, and report strategic regulatory risks arising from potential developments.
- Support Regulatory Compliance department on market design and national regulation issues regarding market conduct and integrity (e.g. REMIT).
- On a daily basis Regulatory Affairs Manager, members of the Regulatory Affairs team and GM&T Front Office (Gas, Power, Carbon and LNG Desks) to support current and future activities, and operational capability development.
- As required, Compliance, Legal and Risk Management to enable the Regulatory Affairs Department to meet its business objectives.
- Other interfaces will include Tax, Communications and relevant Gazprom group functions as required.
Skills & Competencies
- Regulatory specialist able to balance understanding of the energy regulatory framework and market design with commercial insight.
- Excellent understanding of wholesale Gas and Power markets. Knowledge in LNG and Carbon markets is an advantage.
- Strong business acumen coupled with entrepreneurial flair and energy.
- Able to distil the information, grasp the commercial concept, build a compelling argument and execute effective advocacy and lobbying.
- Able to quickly understand and assimilate different regulatory regimes.
- Able to work, flexibly, independently whilst contributing collegiality to meeting the objectives of the Regulatory Affairs team.
- Able to work in a dynamic, pressured environment and to meet tight deadlines.
- Able to establish and maintain strong professional relationships across a broad range of internal and external parties.
- Highly effective communication skills; articulate and able to converse at all levels; ability to summarise in concise manner complex topics.
- Fluent in English (written & spoken). Fluency in French, Spanish or Russian is a distinct advantage.
- Regulatory experience gained through working in a regulatory body or in a regulatory function in a commercial company or in an economic regulatory consultancy role is essential.
- Exposure to energy trading and retailing environments within a highly commercial and entrepreneurial focused business would be an advantage.
- Commercial experience of monetizing opportunities is a distinct advantage.
- Degree level education in finance, economics, business or related discipline (minimum 2:1).
- Masters level education preferred.
- Regulatory qualification(s) is an advantage.