From origins as a small, independent gas supplier in the North West of England, we have grown to become a major business energy supplier. After just ten years, Gazprom Energy has become the largest business gas supplier in the UK and we currently supply 34,000 business customers at over 80,000 sites across Europe.
Manchester is home to our European headquarters, a base from which we have expanded into France and the Netherlands. Our teams across Europe are united by the shared ethos of being helpful and making life easier for our customers. In 2015 we won the coveted Energy Supplier of the Year award at the Energy Awards 15, as well as achieving Gold standard in people management by Investors in People for the second time running.
Our culture is defined by our people. Through living our values every day we continue to create a culture that enables us all to succeed. We work as one team with our customers, our parent company and each other in order to understand each other’s needs. With an unstoppable passion for excellence, growth and learning, we’re committed to creating an environment that fosters the development of knowledge, skills and experience, so that our people can thrive and prosper in their careers with us. We believe that we have the best team in the industry which makes us a trusted partner across international capital and energy markets. Our diverse employee base, with a wealth of expertise, knowledge and experience makes GM&T a truly exciting place to work. We encourage new ideas and initiatives as innovative thinking is central to how we do business. Most importantly, we are a growing and developing business where inspired individuals can make a difference and help shape our future.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Build tools and extend the existing application platforms that utilise the quantitative models using the python stack.
- Responsible for all phases of the technology life cycle including communicating specific subject matter knowledge of the design and development of the project
- Provide BAU support to existing applications, refactor and improve the legacy codebase
- Work closely with quants and forecasting analysts to implement efficient and scalable data back end systems with python data access layer
- Work closely with existing IT teams to help improve code and database deployment.
- Advising on and implementing the architecture, data model, and system design and interfacing requirements for the platform
Skills & Competencies
- Fluent in python and SQL for building significant packages and databases
- Experience in working within a technology team, in a financial institution
- Commitment to continuous integration, TDD and other SDLC best practices
- Degree in Computer Science and coursework and expertise in data structures, algorithms, distributed development and system design
- Proven track record in software and database design, development and support
- Excellent Debugging skills and a proven track record in using development best practises, clean code practises and TDD
- Outstanding analysis / problem solving skills / Intellectual curiosity
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Self-starter open and flexible to change, committed to development best practises
- Comfortable interfacing with Quants, Analysts and IT Teams
- Experience in mentoring junior developers
- Python with experience in numpy, scipy, pandas and ORMs such as SQL Alchemy
- Web experience including REST APIs, Flask and web scraping
- Proficient in writing advanced T-SQL Queries for Microsoft SQL server or via an ORM
- Knowledge of scalable SQL schema design, query performance optimisation, constraints, indexes and temporal databases
- Github/TFS, Conda and proven CI experience and multi team work experience
- Visualization platforms and graphical packages
- Knowledge of Design Patterns