GAZPROM Germania GmbH is a subsidiary of the world’s largest natural gas producer, Gazprom. Since its establishment in 1990, GAZPROM Germania has developed into an internationally operating group of 44 companies in 15 countries in Europe and Asia. Its main business activities include the storage and trading of natural gas. It employs approximately 1,800 employees, around 200 of whom work at its Berlin headquarters. Together with its strategic partners, GAZPROM Germania Group helps ensure a reliable, environmentally-friendly, and sustainable energy supply for Europe.
Gazprom Marketing & Trading (GM&T) is an integral part of the GAZPROM Germania Group. Headquartered in London, GM&T operates to provide a global marketing reach, round the clock operational coverage and excellent customer service. Established in 1999, GM&T has grown from a single office in London into a truly global organisation, with around 1000 employees worldwide. With offices in Europe, Asia and the USA, GM&T trades energy commodities including gas, power, oil, LPG, helium, emissions, LNG and FX.
Our culture is defined by our people. Through living our values every day we continue to create a culture that enables us all to succeed. We work as one team with our customers, our parent company and each other in order to understand each other’s needs. With an unstoppable passion for excellence, growth and learning, we’re committed to creating an environment that fosters the development of knowledge, skills and experience, so that our people can thrive and prosper in their careers with us. We believe that we have the best team in the industry which makes us a trusted partner across international capital and energy markets. Our diverse employee base, with a wealth of expertise, knowledge and experience makes GM&T a truly exciting place to work. We encourage new ideas and initiatives as innovative thinking is central to how we do business. Most importantly, we are a growing and developing business where inspired individuals can make a difference and help shape our future.
A small but respected IT team that provides analytic tooling to a derivatives trading desk. We have a strong relationship with business stakeholders having built up trust over several years of successful delivery.
We are now building a closer relationship with the Quant team so that we can support more of their tech-stack (leaving them to the quant-stack). So after a recent departure we’re looking for a senior developer to join a friendly team with growing responsibility.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and support an in-house application that provides bespoke risk management tooling to Derivatives traders.
- Must liaise directly with both traders and quants to establish requirements, develop and test new functionality.
- Develop and support the end-to-end software development lifecycle, being involved in all activities: design, development, testing and deployment, ensuring our tooling and processes are enhanced as we evolve.
- Provide BAU support to ensure high availability. We have a commitment to ensure that there is always at least one developer available during business hours.
- Work with other IT teams to build or define required interfaces and architecture.
- There is the potential for this role to develop into a technical leadership role for the right candidate.
Skills & Competencies
- Senior/advanced Python programming skills
- Experience of developing complex, business-oriented functionality with limited or fluid requirements, under tight timescales. This may have been gained on any trading floor or similarly paced environment.
- Experience of continuous integration and deployment of Python applications
- Disciplines that support Agile software development: automated testing, Continuous Delivery, code review, pair programming, specification by example, etc.
- Testing software (TDD, BDD, py.test, mock).
- Writing software that is compliant to the SOLID principles. Passionate about writing clean code, refactoring, aiming to find simple solutions for complex problems.
- Version control with Git. Experience using the workflow based on forks, branches and pull requests presented by GitHub.
- Relational SQL databases
- OTC/Derivatives trade life cycle and position management experience would be highly regarded.
- Comfortable interfacing with mathematical pricing models (options preferably).
- Commodities / Energy front office trading experience.
- GUI development using Qt5 / PyQt5. (Even better: Enaml)
- ORM for SQL Databases, ideally SQLAlchemy.
- MongoDB (interfacing from Python).
- Advanced distributed / concurrent programming.
- Conda (using conda as package manager and, even better, having used conda-build to build and distribute your own conda packages).
- Demonstrate technical authority in order to have credibility within a talented team
- Outstanding analytic and problem-solving skills. Should be prepared to take a problem to its conclusion with minimal guidance and support.
- Intellectual curiosity to investigate and share new libraries and technologies.
- Must be comfortable communicating directly with demanding end users and quants, in an open, transparent and honest manner, so you’re able to share bad news as well as good ones.
- Committed to Agile development best practises
- A Computer Science or similar degree, preferably including or in conjunction with a numerate degree such as maths/physics/engineering.