Gazprom Marketing & Trading (GM&T) is a subsidiary of the Gazprom group – the world’s largest gas producer and one of the world’s largest energy companies. Headquartered in London, GM&T operates to provide Gazprom group with a global marketing reach, round the clock operational coverage and excellent customer service. Established in 1999, GM&T has grown from a single office in London into a truly global organisation, with around 1000 employees worldwide. With offices in Europe, Asia and the USA, GM&T trades energy commodities including gas, power, oil, LPG, helium, emissions, LNG and FX and also operates a retail business, trading as Gazprom Energy.
Our culture is defined by our people. Through living our values every day we continue to create a culture that enables us all to succeed. We work as one team with our customers, our parent company and each other in order to understand each other’s needs. With an unstoppable passion for excellence, growth and learning, we’re committed to creating an environment that fosters the development of knowledge, skills and experience, so that our people can thrive and prosper in their careers with us. We believe that we have the best team in the industry which makes us a trusted partner across international capital and energy markets. Our diverse employee base, with a wealth of expertise, knowledge and experience makes GM&T a truly exciting place to work. We encourage new ideas and initiatives as innovative thinking is central to how we do business. Most importantly, we are a growing and developing business where inspired individuals can make a difference and help shape our future.
The current Credit Risk team consists of a Credit Manager, and a team of analysts. Counterparties are active with all desks (power, gas, oil, LNG, carbon) and cover a wide range of activities (trading, generation, E&P, etc.) and sizes.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Counterparty assessment – analysing counterparties’ credit worthiness in order to recommend appropriate credit limits and managing credit support where necessary. Regular renewal and continuous monitoring of counterparty status.
- Counterparty maintenance – developing and maintaining relationships with counterparties including support in negotiating trading documentation and maximising the credit lines extended to GM&T. Developing good relationships with counterparties’ credit departments so as to be able to solve issues that may arise.
- Coordination with internal stakeholders – being a professional business partner to Front Office and communicating sound credit opinions in a convincing, understandable and concise manner to non-credit stakeholders. Ability to find innovative solutions which address risk reduction whilst responding to commercial requirements. Providing support to Front Office when credit issues require involvement with other internal departments. Finally, being able to react quickly to business opportunities.
- Credit reporting and control – monitoring credit exposure and risk measures and anticipation and management of breaches and exceptions. Pro-actively assessing exposure and the impact of potential transactions to provide an advisory role to Front Office.
- Where required, attend to daily reporting and external margining requirements, including contacting counterparties, dispute resolution and follow up with Treasury.
- Build and maintain strong internal relationships across all business and support functions and ensure close liaison with other members of the risk management team.
- Assist the Credit Manager in development of the Credit Risk and KYC function including counterparty or sector assessment, advanced exposure and risk measures, project management, and development and documentation of credit risk management policies and procedures.
Skills & Competencies
- Being able to identify trends and key topics and communicate recommendations to management in a clear, precise and concise manner.
- Good understanding of the key elements of Credit Risk Management with credit and exposure assessment experience from a commodity trading or banking environment.
- Good understanding of the key elements of the KYC on-boarding and assessment process.
- Experience of commercial lending and derivatives markets.
- Some knowledge of energy markets and types of physical and financial energy products and their risks is a plus. Alternatively good knowledge of financial markets products.
- Creativity in solution finding.
- Listening skills.
- Ability to produce accurate credit papers, coherent recommendations and reports within very tight deadlines.
- Ability to work autonomously on projects and produce results within imparted deadlines.
- Fluent in English. Other language skills would be a benefit, especially German, Italian and/or Russian.
- Excellent computer skills. Advanced Excel skills would be an advantage.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Written presentation skills, with strong attention to detail.
- Reactivity and organisational skills, in particular regarding systems and requests management.
- Strong desire and ability to learn new skills.
- Pro-active in achieving results.
- Able to cope with rapid business development and pressurised environment with tight deadlines.
- Able to work as part of a team as well as autonomously when required.
- Strong execution skills.
- Diligent and reliable.
- Demonstrable 1-2 years experience in a credit role either within an energy company, bank or rating agency.
- Experience and familiarity with the energy/commodity trading markets (particularly natural gas, power, oil, or LNG) is an advantage